Ecosystem Interpretation Park
The Lake Pamvotida Ecosystem Interpretation Park, amounting to 4.5 acres, is located on the lakeside road (Laspotopos area). After a short pilot operation, it was inaugurated in 2010 as part of the World Environment Day events. Since then, it has welcomed many schools from Ioannina and outside Ioannina as well as several individual visitors. It has also hosted awareness-raising activities in collaboration with environmental organizations.
The park may be small, but is important as it is the first environmental park implemented in Ioannina. More specifically:
- It presents a more “friendly” development model for the lakeside, which contributes to the protection of the lake’s ecosystem and to sustainable development.
- It helps improve the citizens’ standard of living by providing a “green” space of great aesthetic and functional value.
- It is an image of the Management Body to the local community.
The park is an opportunity to get to know and become better informed about the Protected Area and the ecosystem of Lake Pamvotida. It is also suitable for educational activities, recreation, walks, as well as watching of birds and the landscape.
The park includes a perimetric walking zone which is the main route for ecosystem identification and interpretation. This zone encompasses areas with a variety of themes that constitute the individual units of environmental identification (general information on the lake, ecosystem, water cycle, flora, fauna, birds, ponds and humans, etc.). In some areas of the route (with the help of wooden trails), it is possible to access the exterior part of the main route towards the center of the park or the lake. In addition, there is a guest lounge, a guard house, a wooden observation deck on the edge of the lake and a kiosk for guest resting.
The design was based on the principles of eco-design, thus the existing terrain and vegetation are maintained and only natural materials such as wood, gravel, stone, plants are used. The plant species that surround the park were selected on the basis of:
- their characteristics
- the ecological data of the area (microclimate, soil, vegetation, air)
- their functional role (optical insulation, sound insulation, function segregation, group clustering)
- their contribution towards aesthetic harmony
- the dimensions of the space and of each location separately
- their maintenance needs – fast adaptable resistant plants with no high maintenance requirements were preferred
To schedule your visit (schools, clubs, universities etc.), you can contact the Management Body’s phones. We are at your disposal for further clarifications and information.